As well as ideally situated for walking and cycling holidays Scales farm is ideal for horse riding holidays (bring your own). The farm cottage sleeping up to eight people is situated in a quiet fell location on a working hill farm in the pretty Lowther valley, two miles from Helton village and close to Pooley Bridge and Penrith. The farm is an ideal location to stay if attending any horse events in the area ie Lowther Horse Driving Trials/Newton Rigg/Frenchfield/Dalemain.
From the farm itself you can access directly onto the fells / bridle paths up to Loadpot hill to the Roman road at High street, along to Haweswater, Ullswater, Pooley Bridge, Howtown, Askham, Helton, Bampton and the Lowther valley. It is an ideal location to make a base for other trekking locations within Cumbria or in the Yorkshire Dales.
Facilities we offer:
- Farm is a Member of British Horse Society
- Stable block - attached to holiday cottage
- Two large stables available -To BHS standard
- Large paddock accessed from stable block (secure)
- Access to grazing horse/horses in enclosed farm fields
- Tack room attached to stable block
- Separate toilet /washroom attached to stable
- Parking for horse trailer/s and vehicles
- Easy access to fell from farm
- Access to stables from inside holiday cottage
- One weeks stay £30 per Horse
- Short stay £5 per night per Horse
- If Holiday Cottage Accommodation not available Horses can stay for £10.00 per horse per night. Contact the farm for details and booking.
- Customer to supply own Horse bedding/feed unless prior arrangements have been made
The cottage is located approximately twenty minutes from the M6 Motorway, accessed via J39 Shap or J40 Penrith. Grid reference of Scales farm is Land ranger Map sheet 90 NY486201. Scales Farm Cottage directions
It is also Ideally situated for general touring of the the Lake District, Eden Valley and the Yorkshire Dales.
Mary Towneley Loops - British Horse Society Group of Loop rides (Accessible from the Farm)
Eden Valley Cumbria routes: Loop 1 - Eden Valley (16K) and Loop 2 - Pooley bridge, Loadpot Hill, High Street (32K) are all accessible from Farm.
Eden Valley Cumbria routes: Loop 3 - and Loop 4 - Up to half an hour travel from the farm.
For details of the all these routes and maps for the Eden Valley Loops 1 to 4 click on the link and search for the route.
If you would like more information on or would like to make a booking for you and horse/s to stay at Scales farm please make contact by either phone or email or Facebook as listed on the Contact page